Friday, July 11, 2008

True purpose in life



Yesterday I've read a very amazing post that really got me into thinking. I mean not that it haven't occur to me but I guess I was just beating around the bush till something tangible/readable appears infront of me. The amazing thing is that I've stumble upon this article accidentally since I was looking for an anti-aging article. Yeah you read it right anti-aging I guess there's still that vanity in me that likes to preserve my youth.

Anyway, what I usually do when I surf a site that intrigues me is to go to the main page. And there in the main page starring back at me is the article “How to know your life purpose plus how you can make a big difference” so I click it. It was an amazing article. Just to give you an idea I'll put some excerpt from that article. If you like it do visit the full article through the link I will provide at the end of this post. This is a must read, I really recommend it :-)


Have you ever set a goal and achieved it? And then felt flat afterwards?
This has happened to most of us.

If we feel flat after achieving a goal, then maybe the goal isn't what's important. So if it's not important, why do we set goals? I'll get to that.

The real fruit of what we would be doing would not be obvious to us, because it would be at right angles to the goal we set. It would happen as a side effect.
The trick is to set the right goals. How do we know if the goal we set is creating the right side effects?

He said that we are not meant to go after money. He suggested that instead we set a goal that 'adds value'. That is, that improves the quality of people's lives or of the earth.
Maybe that's why people like to help each other. Subconsciously they know that through doing that they are achieving their life purpose.

One way of knowing whether or not we have set the right goals is by listening to the 'taps on the shoulder'. These can be positive taps (blessings) or negative taps.

If something bad happens to us, we could take this as a 'learning experience'. We can also consider that it may be a negative tap on the shoulder. Perhaps there is something that we are doing (or not doing) that is different from what we are supposed to be doing.
The trouble with most people, and a reason why their lives may be in a mess, is that they don't listen to the taps on the shoulder.  They think that they are just `bad luck' - and don't stop to consider whether or not the fact that they themselves have anything to do with this `bad luck'.

Read the full article at Relfe

It is possible that a major reason why more people don't get into motion is the fear of making mistakes.

This is unfortunate because one of the MAIN ways we learn is by making mistakes.
When a baby makes its first efforts to walk - what happens? He stands up - then falls down. Does the baby then think - "I'm so embarrassed. I'll never do that again". No. He stands up - falls down - stands up - falls down - and keeps on going until he makes it. We can all walk, so we have probably all been through this.

But somewhere along the line the ego and fear of other's opinions seems to get in the way. People start wanting to never make mistakes. The only way to do that is to do nothing. So they do nothing.

But once we do nothing, there is no precession. The magic dies. Our purpose in life is no longer being fulfilled.

We are MEANT to make mistakes! The only thing wrong with making mistakes is when we don't admit them, or don't' learn from them.

Luckily we can speed up this process by learning from the mistakes of others.
Who invented the lightbulb? Thomas Eddison. How many mistakes did he make before he it worked? I have heard 10,000. I have heard a story that someone said to him – "How do you feel making 10,000 mistakes?". He replied "I didn't make any mistakes. I found out 10,000 ways that it wouldn't work".

Colonel Sanders (founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken), when he was 65 years old, was broke and living in his car. The only thing he had of any value was a recipe. He had to knock on 1,009 doors before someone agreed to his deal - to give him a royalty from every piece of chicken cooked with his recipe. His wife kept the statistics.

Another story: About Tom Watson (Not the golfer, the founder of IBM). A worker lost his division $10M. in 3 months. The worker got a memo from Tom Watson – "Please see me Monday at 3pm." That weekend was the worst weekend of the worker's life. He told his wife he was going to be fired. At the meeting on Monday he walked into Tom's office. Tom was at the board saying, "I want you to run this new division." The worker couldn't work out what was going on. He said "Aren't you going to fire me?" Tom replied "Fire you! Fire you! Why would I fire you when I just spent $10M. educating you!" Tom understood the value of making mistakes and learning from them.

If you make too many mistakes in school, what do they call you? A

Read the full article at Relfe


Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

Hello Adei! how are you? I guess I have to find ways too on how to preserve my wonderful youth beauty huh? hehehe

Take care!

agcreatives said...

heheh thanks sa comment yads i love this article mao akong gi share